Summer Internship Program
Our Summer Internship program offers youth, ages 16-21 who utilize Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) or 504 plans (Accommodations) a unique temporary work experience during the summer months.
Students must be available between business hours (though not work for this entire time) for at least six continuous weeks in Summer of 2018.
- Cohort 1 Thurston County students: UPLIFT! (soft skills training) June 25-29 and internships July 2-31, 2018
- Cohort 2 Lewis County students – UPLIFT! July 9-13 and internships August 1-30, 2018
Thirty (30) hours will be dedicated to completing Uplift! ~a soft skill work readiness curriculum conducted by PacMtn, our partner (30 hours total).
At least 15 hours per week will be dedicated to on-site internship work (55 hours total during 4 weeks).
There is a 85 hour total commitment per student over the 5-6 weeks. The student’s schedule will be developed upon intake/orientation which will occur the first week of June.
Students will develop a resume and cover letter and receive a work assessment from the site supervisor which will be utilized at the completion of the program. Employment experience can lead the student to find jobs more easily upon graduation. There is also a stipend for completing the 55 hour work experience, of approximately $632.50.
Transportation – There will be some commitment required by family members or friends to support the student as needed by helping them get to worksite, to a bus line or a central location. Transportation will be discussed at the intake meeting with Morningside staff.
Eligibility Requirements (Summer Internship Applicant Criteria)
- Student between ages of 16-21 and has a guardian signature and social security number.
- Student is not currently employed.
- Student can (with attendant support) care for personal needs.
- Student (with attendant support and safeguards) displays behaviors that are not dangerous to self or others.
- Student must have to commit 85 total hours over one cohort period (see dates above) between business hours.
- Student is currently (as of June-Sept 2018) enrolled in school on an IEP/504 at a High School in one of the following school districts: Rainer, Yelm, Tenino, Rochester, North Thurston, Tumwater, Olympia or a school with majority of enrollees are on Free/Reduced Lunch and has a student ID number.
- Students’ support person can transport to and from work shuttle or to program location.
Registration is open! Fill out attached form and return to:
Diane Lee Crawford
PO Box 7936, Olympia, WA 98507