MORNINGSIDE IS CARF ACCREDITED
What is CARF?
The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities or CARF is an independent, for-profit organization with a focus on ensuring that our services to individuals with disabilities meet the highest standard for quality and outcomes. CARF reviews and grants accreditation for services nationally and internationally. The Washington State Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and the Division of Developmental Disabilities both now require agencies that want to provide vocational services to their clients are CARF accredited. CARF standards are very rigorous so that programs who meet them are considered among the best available.
What does it mean to be accredited?
Individuals who participate in one of Morningside’s CARF accredited programs can be assured that the program or service has passed an in-depth review and has received the CARF endorsement for quality. After an organization applies for accreditation, CARD sends professionals in the field to conduct an on-site review. This review includes not only the process and policy pieces, but the surveyors also meet with the organization’s stakeholders to confirm their satisfaction with services and outcomes. Surveyors meet with staff members and offer suggestions for improving the quality of services. CARF surveyors are among the industries most respected and knowledgeable experts in the field of human services.
What was the outcome of Morningside’s review?
In May 2012 Morningside completed its 13th accreditation review. Three surveyors reviewed programs to our outlying offices to verify our commitment to quality. The surveyors also interviewed clients, their families, employer, funding agency staff and our own Board of Trustees. At the conclusion of the review Morningside was awarded a Three-Year Accreditation status, the highest given. Morningside is accredited in:
- Employment Planning Services
- Community Employment Services
The Survey Report identifies areas of Morningside’s exemplary conformance to the standards.
- Morningside has an experienced, long-term leadership team that has earned a great deal of respect and admiration from funders, referring agencies, families and board members. Morningside is considered to be among the best in the field both at the local and state levels.
- A thorough strategic planning process has resulted in a strategic plan that is regularly monitored by the leadership and board levels and regularly revised necessary.
- Morningside has a comprehensive, well-developed outcomes management system that is the result of several years of experience, outcomes analysis and stakeholder feedback.
- The organization is commended for its efforts to build successful partnerships with employers that have resulted in the creation of many opportunities and customized individual placements for persons served.
The Report also identifies many strengths in Morningside’s programs.
- The organization is recognized for its efforts to develop highly individualized placements and job supports through job carving, business analysis and customized employment.
- Community Employment staff members are commended for their commitment to persons served that ensures successful job placements and good supports to employers.
- Morningside has knowledgeable, caring and compassionate long term staff members who are committed to the success of each person served. Staff members are enthusiastic and perpetuate a positive work and training atmosphere. In addition, they are not afraid of a challenge. This is demonstrated by their job placements of individuals who have intensive needs and challenges. Staff members ensure that supports are put in place to maintain the success of these placements.
- Persons served who are placed in community employment settings are satisfied with their employment and have ample opportunities to develop relationships. Staff members have developed a good rapport with area employers who state they are very pleased with the employees they have hired. Employers emphasize that Morningside staff members are available to help provide supports when the need arises.
- Morningside has developed a strong collaboration with employers that has contributed to producing successful and long-term placements for persons served. Employers speak highly of Morningside and the employees they have placed and express interest in continuing to hire person served as positions become available.
- Morningside’s board, leadership and staff are complimented for their hard work and encouraged to continue using CARF standards in the pursuit of quality standards.
Morningside continues its commitment to excellence
Morningside submitted a Quality Improvement Plan, which outlines the recommendations from the survey and how staff will address these prior to the next survey in 2015:
- The Leadership and Board of Morningside will review and update as needed the Risk Management Plan annually with other Strategic Plan components.
- A plan will be developed to review the driver’s records of all new hires and then regularly review the records of all employees.
- All staff performance reviews will be completed annually.
- Exit/transition criteria will be developed for each program and shared with each client at the time of intake.
- All exit summaries for clients leaving the program will be completed in a timely fashion.
For additional information regarding the accreditation process or for a copy of the most recent CARF Survey Report, please contact Morningside’s President/CEO, Jim Larson or
Senior Vice President/COO Cindi Kirchmeier at 360.596.3500.
Click here for the link to CARF – The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities