Summer Internship Program
Our Summer Internship program offers youth, ages 16-21 who utilize Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) or 504 plans (Accommodations) a unique temporary work experience during the summer months.
Students must be available between business hours (though not work for this entire time) for at least six continuous weeks in Summer of 2016.
- Cohort 1 starts June 20-July 29, 2016
- Cohort 2 starts July 18-August 26, 2016
At least 20 hours per week (for the first two weeks) will be dedicated to completing Uplift! ~a soft skill work readiness curriculum conducted by PacMtn, our partner (40 hours total).
At least 14 hours per week will be dedicated to on-site internship work (55 hours total during 4 weeks).
There is a 95 hour total commitment per student over the 6 weeks. The student’s schedule will be developed upon intake/orientation which will occur the week of June 6-17.
Students will develop a resume and cover letter and receive a work assessment from the site supervisor which will be utilized at the completion of the program. Employment experience can lead the student to find jobs more easily upon graduation. There is also a stipend for completing the 55 hour work experience, of $600 approximately.
Transportation will be explored on an individual basis with each student. There may be some commitment required by family members or friends to support the student by helping them get to a work site or to a shuttle/bus line.
- Student between ages of 16-21 and has a guardian signature and social security number.
- Student is not currently employed.
- Student can (with attendant support) care for personal needs.
- Student (with attendant support and safeguards) displays behaviors that are not dangerous to self or others.
- Student must have to commit 95 total hours over one cohort period (see dates above) between business hours.
- Student is currently (as of June-Sept 2016) enrolled in school on an IEP/504 at a High School in one of the following school districts: Rainer, Yelm, Tenino, Rochester, North Thurston, Tumwater, Olympia or a school with majority of enrollees are on Free/Reduced Lunch and has a student ID number.
- Students’ support person can transport to and from work shuttle or to program location.
Registration is currently full for 2016. There may be a 2nd year offered in the Summer of 2017, depending on availability.